AAPT Strategic Plan Goals and Objectives
Adopted October 17, 2013
Goals and Objectives
1. Create a vibrant community to support those interested in enhancing the understanding and appreciation of physics through teaching.
- Support physics educators and physics education researchers through opportunities for professional development, research, and publications.
- Develop programs, products, and services that meet the needs and pique the interest of physics educators throughout their careers.
- Engage students and early career professionals with special programs and offerings.
- Publicize widely the value and benefits of AAPT membership and the opportunities available at National Meetings.
- Utilize technology to engage those interested in physics teaching in professional development activities.
- Enhance local and regional community building opportunities among physics educators.
- Establish programs that help develop the next generation of leaders within AAPT.
2. Enhance professional development opportunities utilizing AAPT products, journals, and programs/conferences to disseminate knowledge about the understanding of physics, physics education research, and effective physics teaching practices.
- Develop and maintain a portfolio of print and electronic resources that support the physics teaching community.
- Provide and support professional development for physics educators and physics education researchers locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Continue to develop programs, products, and services that support physics teachers, physics departments, and administrators in adopting best practices related to physics education.
- Support physics related outreach and informal education experiences.
3. Enhance the visibility and role of AAPT in the physics and STEM education communities to effectively influence policy and practice.
- Support and develop position statements that can help inform public policy as it relates to physics education.
- Advocate for funding and policies that promote excellence in physics teaching and physics learning.
- Continue to develop relationships with organizations, nationally and internationally, that will increase support for physics education.
- Serve as a forum for disseminating information on policy related to physics education.
- Provide and support programmatic and policy recommendations for physics departments, schools, and administrators.
4. Enrich the field by increasing the number and diversity of physics students and teachers at all levels, including those from ethnically and linguistically diverse backgrounds, those with diverse abilities, and those from the LGBT+ community.
- Develop and support programs to increase the number of physics students in high school and college courses, opportunities for physics teacher preparation, and opportunities for teaching physics at all levels.
- Support the development, dissemination, and implementation of best practices in recruiting, retaining, and teaching under-represented and marginalized students in physics to enhance their success in learning and practicing physics.
- Enhance the diversity of AAPT and the physics education community by recruiting and supporting members from all groups, including those currently under-represented and marginalized in physics education.
- Support best practices in in the preparation of physics teachers to teach students from all academic, socio-economic, and cultural backgrounds.
Additional Structure for Strategic Plan
Essential supporting strategies toward achieving all of these goals and objectives
- Ensure effective and fiscally sound organizational policies and structure.
- Expand and maintain governance accountability procedures.
- Maintain a balanced operating budget and appropriate reserves.
- Optimize the structure of AAPT governance.