Warren Hein Obituary
Warren Walter Hein, former AAPT Executive Officer, passed away suddenly on June 11, 2021, while living in Fenton, Michigan. Warren served as both the Executive Officer (2008-2010) and Associate Executive Officer (1997-2007) of AAPT and a program officer at the National Science Foundation. He served as Department Head & Professor of Physics at South Dakota State University for 27 years, and he was active with the Society of Physics Students (SPS) organization. Additionally, he held positions at Northern State University and Kettering University. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and Iowa State University, earning degrees in Physics, Mathematics, and a PhD in Nuclear Physics.
Lila Adair (AAPT President 2008-2009)
Jack Hehn (AAPT AEO 1992-1999)
In 2018 Warren was a recipient of the Homer L. Dodge Citation for Distinguished Service to AAPT. Warren was a member of the Fenton Lions Club, American Association of Physics Teachers, American Physical Society (APS), and Sigma Xi. Warren is survived by his wife, Melanie; children, Benjamin Hein, Elizabeth Hein, and Suzyn Daniel; five grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.
- November 27, 2023 - WM24 Dodge Citation for Distinguished Service to AAPT to be Awarded to Anthony Mwene Musumba
- November 22, 2023 - WM24 Dodge Citation Goes to Juan Burciaga
- November 13, 2023 - Jennifer Blue Named as Recipient of the 2024 Dodge Citation for Distinguished Service to AAPT
- November 13, 2023 - Dodge Citation for Distinguished Service to AAPT to be Awarded to Tatiana Erukhimova
- November 13, 2023 - Smith College Earns Bronze Award from Physics and Astronomy SEA Change Program