AAPT Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force
In early 2021, a new task force was formed by the AAPT Board of Directors to address diversity, equity, and inclusion at AAPT. The charge, deliverables, and members are included below. The DEI Task Force was joined by facilitators Paige Robnett and Zimife Umeh from Brevity and Wit in fall 2021 to assist the Task Force in accomplishing the charge. This webpage will be updated as information from the Task Force becomes available.
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force should consider how AAPT should frame diversity, equity and inclusion across the association and the profession. The goal of the task force will be to develop guiding principles for the Association to ensure that the AAPT Board and committees reflect the depth of diversity within our membership, including race, ethnicity, gender, LGBTQ+, age, geographic location, professional status, among other factors. The task force will also help develop professional pathways that expand the Society volunteer leadership pipeline and create a DEI roadmap that provides a clear definition, metrics and guidance on the Association’s ongoing efforts to achieve and maintain diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Guiding principles to be approved by the Board of Directors. Examples of guiding principles include cultivating welcoming environments, creating policies and practices that support diversity, equity, and inclusion, and fostering transparency in promoting access to opportunities for members in AAPT.
- A diversity, equity and inclusion roadmap for AAPT for the next 3-5 years. This roadmap will lay out the work that needs to be done.
- A set of strategies for the next 2 years that outline the plan of action to achieve milestones in the roadmap.
- Metrics to track progress on the strategies.
- Ways to obtain feedback from members and staff for continual improvement in DEI.
- Members (as of March 1, 2022):
- David Marasco, AAPT member and Co-Chair
- Catherine Herne, AAPT member and Co-Chair
- Debbie Andres, AAPT member
- Bree Barnett Dreyfuss, AAPT member
- Alexis Knaub, AAPT member
- Ashauni Lennox, AAPT Graphic Designer
- Marie Lopez del Puerto, AAPT member
- Josephine (Josie) Meyer, AAPT member
- Arlisa Richardson, AAPT Member
- Mel Sabella, AAPT Past President (2019-20)
- Terrance (Terry) Samm, AAPT Database Administrator
- Beth Cunningham (ex officio), AAPT Chief Executive Officer
For more details and information about the DEI Task Force, please contact AAPT's Executive Office at email@example.com.