About New Orleans Page
Did you know?
The monument to General Andrew Jackson at Jackson Square was the world's first equestrian statue in which the horse had more than one foot off the base. — www.experienceneworleans.com
The climate of New Orleans is humid subtropical with short, generally mild winters and hot, humid summers. In January, morning lows average around 43 °F (6 °C), and daily highs around 62 °F (17 °C).
Current Daily Temperature
New Orleans is world famous for it's food and known for specialties like beignets (locally pronounced like "ben-yays"), square-shaped fried pastries that could be called "French doughnuts" (served with café au lait made with a blend of coffee and chicory rather than only coffee); and Po' boy and Italian Muffuletta sandwiches; Gulf oysters on the half-shell, fried oysters, boiled crawfish, and other seafood; étouffée, jambalaya, gumbo, and other Creole dishes; and the Monday favorite of red beans and rice. Another New Orleans specialty is the Praline local /'pr??li?n/, a candy made with brown sugar, granulated sugar, cream, butter, and pecans.
Find a Resturant
Colleges and Universities
A large number of institutions of higher education exist within the city:
• Tulane University, a major research university founded in 1834.
• Loyola University New Orleans, a Jesuit university founded in 1912.
• University of New Orleans, a large public research university in the city.
• Xavier University of Louisiana, the only historically black Catholic university in the United States.
• Southern University at New Orleans, a historically black university in the Southern University System.
• Dillard University, a private, historically black liberal arts college founded in 1869.
• Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
• Our Lady of Holy Cross College, a Catholic liberal arts college founded in 1916.
• Notre Dame Seminary
• New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
• Delgado Community College, founded in 1921.
• William Carey College School of Nursing
• Herzing College
• New Orleans Culinary Institute