Alexander K. Dickison
Alexander K. Dickison - Obituary
Alex Dickison was a colleague and friend of physics teachers in Florida and the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT). It is well known that Alex served AAPT as Chair of the Section Representative, Treasurer (1996 – 2002) and the AAPT Presidential Chain (2007-–2010). He was recognized with the Homer L. Dodge Citation for Distinguished Service to AAPT in 2003 and as an AAPT Fellow in 2014. What may be less known is his record as a leader of the Florida Section of AAPT. From 1975 – 1976 he was President of the Florida selection and from 1977 to 1996 Alex was the Florida Section Representative. In a very real sense, during these years Alex was the guiding spirit behind the Florida Section and its activities. For many years he organized and hosted the Physics Olympics at Seminole Community College, and during section meetings Alex was always willing to share his ideals for laboratory activities and demonstrations. Because of his leadership many young teachers were inspired to become involved in professional activities, including my wife Jane, and owe a debt to Alex (Jim Nelson). In 1990 The Florida Section of AAPT recognized Alex with the Distinguished Service to Physics Teaching award. It was always a pleasure to exchange ideas with Alex, he was a well of information about physics and physics teaching that was always refreshing and often challenging. It is wonderful to recall these moments shared with Alex, but sad to realize that there will never be another.
- November 27, 2023 - WM24 Dodge Citation for Distinguished Service to AAPT to be Awarded to Anthony Mwene Musumba
- November 22, 2023 - WM24 Dodge Citation Goes to Juan Burciaga
- November 13, 2023 - Jennifer Blue Named as Recipient of the 2024 Dodge Citation for Distinguished Service to AAPT
- November 13, 2023 - Dodge Citation for Distinguished Service to AAPT to be Awarded to Tatiana Erukhimova
- November 13, 2023 - Smith College Earns Bronze Award from Physics and Astronomy SEA Change Program